January 28, 2009

Converting a Youtube or Nicovideo for DTXMania


As I was editing the V5 encore stage simfiles, I learned something new, so I'll share it with you guys. Here is how to turn an online music video into something suitable for DTXMania. Most of the steps I followed using this article. Here are the steps I took.

1. Convert your video into an FLV and download onto your computer.
I used Toshichan Green Tune to do it. Some sites can convert directly into an AVI, but I don't recommend it as it will cause problems at a later stage. If you get a 404 error, play the video first.

2. Convert your FLV into an AVI.
I used FLV extract for this step (refer to the article above).

3. Load your AVI into VirtualDubMod.
I ran into problems opening the AVI in Virtualdubmod, even though I followed all the settings for installing and configuring ffdshow in the article. So I installed TMPGEnc, converted it into MPEG first and then I could open it.

4. Crop your video in Virtualdubmod.
To crop and resize, you will need 2 filters. Go to Video > Filters > Add filters. Use null transform to cut out unwanted parts (use the cropping button). The second filter is Resize - the DTXMania video width / height is 272x352. Under streams you can also disable the audio stream since you won't need audio.

5. Encode your video to a new AVI.
You need the DivX codec. I used 1-pass 780kbps to compress a 2 min video to about 10MB. Save it into the directory you are making your DTX in.

6. Use GDA Creator or DTX Creator to add the video to your DTX
I won't go into the details here. If you need help with this step, please ask in the GDAmania forums.

0 comments:

Post a Comment